Choosing a Contractor
When selecting a contractor to handle your next paving project make sure you follow these tips to verify their qualifications and avoid costly mistakes:
- Select a contrator known for high quality work and one who has an established reputation in the community.
- Does the contractor have a dedicated office / facility you can visit?
- Is it a full service contractor or are they depending on subs? Can they take care of your existing AND future needs?
- Check the contractor's insurance coverage and verify state and local licensing.
- Do they have knowledgeable sales personnel that provide clear options and benfits of different approaches?
- Look for a company that has trained and experienced personnel and continues to educate themselves on new technology and techniques for best results.
- Do they provide a written warranty / guarantee on all work performed?
- Do they clearly identify the scope of the project and the products to be used?
- Can the contractor complete the project in a satisfactory timeframe; the longer the job the greater disturbance to your company.
- Do they have the proper type of equipment to properly complete the job? Is the equipment owned or rented?
- Can they provide product specification sheets?
- Make sure all asphalt thicknesses are specified as finished compacted thickness
- If obtaining multiple bids, be sure application methods, specifications and quantities are the same on all. This will ensure a valid comparison can be made between the bids.
- Scrutinize the lowest bids very carefully. When it comes to materials and workmanship. You get what you pay for.